Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rheumar Has It: Here's a list of random facts and Rheumars!

Hello All!
  Here are some random facts about Arthritis that I thought were important and wanted to share. I hope you learn something and pass it on to promote arthritis advocacy!

Random Facts!
1. In 2006, 46 MILLION people had a form of arthritis
1a. There's over 100 forms of arthritis
2. It is the leading cause of disability for Americans over 15 years old
3. Arthritis limits everyday events such as getting dressed, bathing and walking for over 7 million Americans
4. Causes 39 million doctor visits (I believe that one! I go to the doctor at least every 6 weeks, but more like every 2-3 weeks!)
4a. Causes more than 1/2 million hospitalizations!
5. This one is crazy, get ready... It costs the U.S Economy $128 BILLION annually!!!!
   **This is one of the reasons why advocacy is so important**
6. I am one of the 300,000 children with arthritis (and it sucks!)
7. Arthritis strikes women more than men (I think that it is because of the decreasing amount of estrogen in women's body as they get older, but I'm not really sure why)
8. There's no known cure for it, but there are a lot of treatment options (however a lot of those treatment options make your immune system so low that it takes you body 4 weeks to fight a sinus infection when it should be gone in 1 week- That's a true story, I'm battling week 4 of a sinus infection and after 2 weeks of strong antibiotics, 2 nasal sprays, Zyrtec and Singular I've still got it!)
9. Fatigue is one of the number one complaints. It's because when your body's immune system is attacking itself your body thinks you are sick. And when you're sick you're tired. Your body needs that rest so that it can be strong to fight off the infection/bacteria/virus. But when your body is constantly attacking itself like it is in arthritis you're always tired because your body is trying to become strong. (I hope that makes sense)

(These facts are from http://www.arthritis.org/facts.php)

Common Misconceptions 
1. Only old people get it: We know this is a lie! (Look at number 6 of the random facts and you're reading stuff from someone who is 22 and has had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 8 years)
2. Arthritis consists of only minor aches and pains: I'll tell you right now, I've cried many times because the pain is so bad. It feels like your bones are rubbing on each other. My spine feels like its crunching down (I even shrunk 2 inches in 1 year from my spine!) The pain almost feels like when you're really achy when you get the flu, times a million but add some throbbing and put it in all of your joints. (Now some people only have arthritis in a few joints, not everyone is lucky like to me to have it in all of my joints!)
3. "You felt fine yesterday, why so tired today?"; Everyday is different and you go through flare ups that can happen at any time and last for as long as it wants. (A flare up is when one joint area (sometimes more than one) is super inflammed/swollen/really painful. I'm currently having a terrible flare up in my back and I've tried lidocaine patches, cremes, tyenol, advil, everything!! and nothing is working.)

** You might want to get a light snack or munchie  before reading #4, it's kinda long, but important**
4 "You have arthritis, you can't do ____": Let me tell you! This one bothers me soooooooooo much!!!! People think that just because you have this disease you can't do anything! Even my mom does this, especially with taking in groceries or unloading the car (sorry mommy, I know you're just being a mom). Just because I have this disease does not mean everything that a "normal" person can do is off limits. We might not be able to get up one morning and randomly run a 5K or pull an all nighter but we can do everything that you can do with a few minor adjustments. This is the one reason why I'm not honest when my family or friends ask me how my pain is. If I tell them the truth they'll feel sorry for me and treat me differently. I do not want that!!! The thing with arthritis is that you cannot let it define you and you cannot let it stop you. If you do either one of those things it's like giving up before the fight even started. With arthritis you have to do everything you want to do, you just have to know your own limits. You have to set your goals high and not be scared to set them high!


If you're curious on how this is diagnosed here's a link: http://arthritis.about.com/od/diagnostic/a/diagnosis.htm

That's all for now! I hope you all had a great weekend! I sure did! FSU beat Miami! They are now ranked number 16! (Gators are 22 and Miami isn't even ranked! Making FSU the #1 team in Florida for the first time since 2005) Rays beat the Rangers and are going to game 5 of the ADLS!
-Kelley K
ps-I think I'm going to end every post with a random fact about me. So here's one! I collect postcards! If you go anywhere send me one!! (please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment